If you have severe tooth infection, a failed root canal treatment or wisdom teeth that are either impacted or misaligned, you may need a tooth extraction.
What Is A Tooth Extraction?
Tooth extraction is the careful removal of your tooth.Dr. Pizzi and Dr. Mehdi may suggest tooth extraction in the follow scenarios:
- He cannot save the health of your tooth through more conservative means, often as the result of a severely damaged tooth or an infection
- Your tooth has not responded to root canal treatment
- You have an impacted wisdom tooth, which has not erupted through your gums
- You have wisdom teeth growing in at an angle, which is causing discomfort, or threatens the alignment of your teeth
What Are the Benefits?
Whether you experience chronic discomfort, or if a tooth is threatening the future health of your mouth, tooth extraction can save you time, money, and effort. The benefits of tooth extraction include:
- Removes the source of your discomfort
- Restores your oral health
- Protects surrounding teeth
Do You Make A Good Candidate for Extractions?
If your tooth is in danger of dying, or if your mouth is in danger of an increasing infection, tooth extraction can quickly return you to optimal oral health. Good candidacy will also include an ability to follow proper aftercare instructions for successful healing. You will need to avoid making a sucking motion, which can dislodge the clot that forms in the socket. This clot is your body’s natural scabbing formation. By dislodging this clot, you may end up with an uncomfortable condition called dry socket, which will require additional treatment.