Life happens: With the many ups and downs of life, come unexpected discomforts and trauma, like dental emergencies. What is a dental emergency? A dental emergency is a dental concern that requires attention immediately or soon after the occurrence. It is not something that is life-threatening. Perhaps you bit down on a hard piece of food that chipped your tooth. Maybe you fell and knocked your tooth out. These events can leave you in discomfort until they’re addressed with a dentist.
What Should You Do During a Dental Emergency?
Even though the situation may be distressing, try to stay calm. Dental emergencies are not life-threatening, so try to relax with the knowledge that the situation will be handled and resolved soon.
1) Call your dental office right away to make an emergency dental appointment.
2) In pain? Take over-the-counter medicine to relieve your discomfort while you wait for your appointment.
3) If you’ve lost a tooth or your tooth has been knocked out, gently rinse the tooth under warm water before trying to place it back in its socket in your mouth. Don’t use force when doing this; be gentle to prevent further damage. If the tooth will not stay in your mouth, store it immersed in milk or saltwater in an airtight container until your dentist appointment.
4) Broken tooth? Gather the pieces as best you can and store them in a sealed container until your dental visit.
5) If you’re bleeding, apply clean gauze to the spot and bite down to help stop the bleeding.
6) Use an ice pack or compress to reduce swelling; press to the outside of your face.
Emergency Dentist in Shrewsbury, MA
If you’re experiencing a dental emergency, call our dental office as soon as possible, so we can set up an emergency appointment for you right away. The sooner we can address the situation, the better. We always have a dentist on call after hours, on weekends, and during vacations for emergency situations.
ABOUT YOUR SHREWSBURY DENTISTS:
At Modern Dentistry, Todd A. Pizzi, DDS, and Luciana Messina, DDS, are dedicated to providing high-quality cosmetic, restorative, and preventive dentistry services to patients and families in Shrewsbury, Worcester, North and South Grafton, Westborough, Southborough, Northborough, Boylston, Hopkinton, Millbury, and all surrounding communities. To schedule your next appointment, contact our office by calling (508) 842-6356 today.