When you need to replace missing teeth, there are several dental prosthetic options to choose from, including dental bridges, dentures, and partials. But these prosthetics are all placed above your gum line; what can replace the firmly rooted strength of your natural tooth? A dental implant is implanted into the jawbone and gum tissue, just like your natural tooth’s root, to serve as a firm foundation for your tooth replacement. A dental implant is the only option that offers a complete replacement for your missing tooth, to replace both the tooth root and crown.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots; an implant serves as the base for a replacement tooth or dental bridge. The implant consists of a titanium post that is surgically implanted into the jawbone. During a process called osseointegration, the dental implant post fuses with your jawbone to be integrated into your gums like a natural root. This process can take several months. When the titanium post fuses with the jawbone, it actually contributes to body signals to the jawbone that prevent deterioration. Most patients with one or more missing teeth are good candidates for dental implants. However, the procedure does require that you have a strong and healthy jawbone for best results.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental implant restorations offer a solution to replace the whole tooth, not just the crown.
- Dental implants offer incredible stability, just like a natural root.
- Implants are permanently placed and long-lasting.
- Dental implants don’t rely on the placement or strength of surrounding teeth like dental bridges do; implants are their own freestanding replacement.
- In conjunction with an artificial tooth, dentures, partials, dental crowns, or a dental bridge, dental implants restore the beauty of your smile. Boost your confidence and don’t be reluctant to show off your teeth!
ABOUT YOUR SHREWSBURY DENTISTS:
At Modern Dentistry, Todd A. Pizzi, DDS, and Luciana Messina, DDS, are dedicated to providing high-quality cosmetic, restorative, and preventive dentistry services to patients and families in Shrewsbury, Worcester, North and South Grafton, Westborough, Southborough, Northborough, Boylston, Hopkinton, Millbury, and all surrounding communities. To schedule your next appointment, contact our office by calling (508) 842-6356 today.